Headlines

agfest page header 2019

  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    No new virus infections in South Australia

    South Australia will end its COVID-19 lockdown on schedule after reporting no new virus infections. Premier Steven Marshall says the result is a "huge relief" and will allow the shutdown to end at one minute past midnight on Wednesday. "So a massive thank you…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    List of Vic restrictions as lockdown ends

    VICTORIA'S EASED RESTRICTIONS FROM 11:59PM ON TUESDAY: * The 5km travel limit will be removed as well as the stay-at -home requirement. * Movement between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria will be unrestricted. * Masks will be required everywhere…
  • Nicola Spurrier 20210722001559061750 600x400

    South Australia set to end lockdown

    South Australia will likely end its week-long COVID-19 lockdown on time after reporting one new virus infection linked to the Modbury cluster, Premier Steven Marshall says. The premier says the shutdown will end at one minute past midnight on Wednesday…
  • daniel andrews 20201122001504608787 600x400

    Victoria to spend another week in lockdown

    Victoria's lockdown will be extended for a further seven days as authorities work to "extinguish" an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta coronavirus variant. The lockdown was initially due to end on Tuesday night, but Premier Daniel Andrews announced…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA to lock down after fifth virus case

    South Australia is moving into a full seven-day lockdown after a cluster of local COVID-19 cases grew to five. The fifth case, a man in his 60s, is someone who dined at a restaurant in Adelaide where previously infected people were also present on Saturday…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA COVID restrictions after virus cases

    South Australia has imposed widespread coronavirus restrictions, including closing all non-essential retail outlets, following the discovery of a second COVID-19 case. The daughter of an 81-year-old man has now tested positive along with her father after the…
  • tasborderslocked

    All of NSW barred from Tassie

    More than half of Australia's population is now banned from entering Tasmania, after the high risk classification of Greater Sydney by public health officials here was expanded to include all of NSW. That state recorded over 100 new cases of coronavirus on…
  • SA Border Control 20200324001459069555 original 650x429

    SA tightens Victoria border amid outbreak

    South Australia will enforce tough border restrictions for Victoria and strengthen local COVID-19 rules as interstate case numbers continue to rise. From midnight on Thursday, South Australians returning home from Greater Melbourne, Geelong and Bacchus Marsh…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    Snap lockdown for Vic to contain outbreak

    Victoria will enter a five-day lockdown in an effort to contain a growing outbreak of the Delta variant of COVID-19 in the state. Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the lockdown will begin at 11.59pm on Thursday, with people only able to leave home for five…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA has new virus cases but no lockdown

    South Australia has reported five local COVID-19 infections, all involving the family of a miner who recently returned from the Northern Territory. But Premier Steven Marshall says the state will not be going into lockdown. The new cases involve the miner,…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA beefs up local virus rules

    South Australia has imposed a range of new local COVID-19 restrictions in response to the growing number of virus cases around the country. From midnight on Monday masks will be mandatory in high-risk settings, including aged care facilities and hospitals and…
  • Coronavirus update

    On the first day of Tasmania reopening to Greater Melbourne, there have been no new covid infections in Victoria's community. There are still 58 high risk sites in Melbourne on the Tasmanian government website which do entail a ban on entry here. Authorities…
  • DEC

    Returned Tassie traveller from Vic dodges quarantine

    A construction worker at Hobart's Derwent Entertainment Centre who skipped home quarantine having been in Victoria, has escaped with just a caution. His Tas e-Travel application stated he had simply transitted through the COVID "high-risk" state, when in fact…
  • SPARX LATEST COVID BANNER 1 650x431

    Vic scramble to find Delta virus link

    A man who was infected with the Delta COVID-19 strain mistakenly opened his room door soon after entering hotel quarantine in Melbourne. But Emma Cassar, the head of COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria, says this incident is unlikely to be the reason for the Delta…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    NSW locations declared "high-risk" by Tas Health

    Victoria's coronavirus cluster is now threatening to impact New South Wales, after confirmation an infected person with the highly infectious Indian variant visited several sites in the state's south. It's prompted a swift high-risk declaration of five…
  • SPARX LATEST COVID BANNER 1 650x431

    Ardern, Morrison writing COVID rules in NZ

    The Australian and New Zealand leaders say they'll write new pages in the COVID-19 rulebook when they meet for formal talks on Monday. Scott Morrison and Jacinda Ardern are in Queenstown for the annual Australia-New Zealand Leaders Forum. Mr Morrison is…
  • James Merlino 20210504001539619705 600x400

    Victoria to enter 7 day circuit breaker lockdown from midnight

    Victoria will begin a seven-day lockdown from midnight, in an effort to contain a COVID-19 outbreak in the northern suburbs that has grown to 26 cases. One of those infected people is in intensive care and Acting Premier James Merlino said they are "not in a…
  • brett sutton 20210210001519526508 600x400 2

    Melbourne set to learn COVID lockdown fate

    Melbourne residents are about to find out if a growing coronavirus cluster in the city's north will trigger another lockdown in the Victorian capital. Acting Premier James Merlino raised the prospect of a shutdown on Wednesday after the so-called Whittlesea…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    Victorian outbreak sparks vaccine calls

    All eligible Australians are being urged to get vaccinated against coronavirus as a fresh outbreak threatens to spread across Melbourne. Victoria's cluster of cases has climbed to 15, with authorities naming dozens of exposure sites including the MCG where an…
  • Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (2020) G

    Pfizer vaccine coming for 40-49s in NSW

    Around a million people in NSW aged between 40 and 49 could get a Pfizer COVID-19 jab at the new purpose-built vaccination hub at Sydney Olympic Park within weeks. Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced the "exciting" development at the opening of the…

SA COVID-19 close contact 'lied'

Steven Marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

A person closely linked to Adelaide's COVID-19 cluster lied to contact tracers in "completely and utterly unacceptable" conduct, Premier Steven Marshall says.

But SA will ease the statewide lockdown immediately to allow family groups to exercise with stay-at-home orders to also be scrapped on Saturday.

Mr Marshall said investigations had revealed one of the close contacts linked to a positive case in a worker at an Adelaide pizza bar misled the contact tracing team.

The person told authorities he had only purchased a pizza from the shop when in fact he had worked several shifts at the location.

"Their story didn't add up. We pursued them. We now know that they lied," Mr Marshall said.

"We are still trying to locate thousands of people who had dangerous contact at the Woodville pizza bar.

"Even more, now that we know this person lied, we have to find and isolate a whole new group of associates.

"To say that I am fuming about the actions of this individual is an absolute understatement.

"The selfish actions of this individual have put our whole state in a very difficult situation."

Nevertheless, the premier said the move to lift the lockdown early would proceed with SA largely moving to a one person to every four square metres density requirement.

The changes will allow most businesses to reopen from midnight on Saturday and schools will resume next week.

Limits on gatherings, such as funerals and weddings, will remain in place.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the so-called Parafield cluster had grown by just three cases to 25 confirmed infections.

Another 44 people are suspected to have the virus but are waiting on test results.

All the new cases are already in quarantine with the total number of people in isolation rising to more than 4500.

Professor Spurrier said the number of confirmed infections was expected to rise over the next few days but said people should not be alarmed by that.

She said efforts were continuing to put a "double ring-fence" around the outbreak to limit the risk of more widespread community transmission.

SA conducted a record 14,459 tests on Thursday.

© AAP 2020

Photo: South Australian Premier Steven Marshall (AAP Image/Kelly Barnes)

For more information: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/response

Where to Listen

lafm logo47AD rgb7BU rgb7SD cmyk