New SA COVID case part of existing cluster
A COVID-19 infection which has closed an Adelaide high school is thought linked to a cluster which prompted a shortlived lockdown in South Australia.
The Woodville High School will remain closed until further notice as deep cleaning is conducted and while contact tracing continues.
The positive test in a female student was confirmed late on Wednesday with SA Health issuing a directive for anyone who attended the school on Monday to isolate immediately along with every member of their household.
Anyone with symptoms was asked to get tested as soon as possible.
Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Mike Cusack said contract tracers had been working through the night to determine the source of the infection.
"We do believe the case is linked to the Parafield cluster," Dr Cusack told ABC radio on Thursday.
"It does not represent unknown transmission into the community."
The Parafield cluster stood at 29 cases on Wednesday. The student would take it to 30.
It was sparked after a security guard at one of Adelaide's quarantine hotels picked up the virus from a returned traveller.
The cluster has resulted in widespread changes to the hotel quarantine arrangements with anyone who tests positive, including overseas arrivals, to be moved to a dedicated health facility.
All security at that facility will be provided by police and staff will not be allowed to work at other high-risk locations, including prisons and aged care centres.
As an added security measure, Premier Steven Marshall will ask national cabinet to consider testing all Australians returning from overseas before they are allowed to board their flights.
A negative test would be required before anyone is permitted to travel, under SA's proposal.
Before the latest case, authorities said SA was on track to ease coronavirus restrictions next week and return the state to the level of measures that were in place before the Parafield outbreak.
That would be a swift turnaround from last week when authorities ordered a statewide lockdown based on information later found to be false.
The six-day shutdown was subsequently cut to three days, though some restrictions remain in place.
© AAP 2020