Headlines

agfest page header 2019

  • Dan Andrews 20210915001576352451 600x400

    Vic roadmap unveiled, 7 day lockdown for Geelong

    Melbourne's controversial curfew will be scrapped, with people able to travel up to 25 kilometres and have a beer outside the pub once 70 per cent of Victorians aged over 16 are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. But the most substantial changes to the…
  • Daniel Andrews 0809 20210815001567004650 600x400

    Regional Victoria exits COVID-19 lockdown

    A Lockdown will be lifted in regional Victoria, with the exception of the town of Shepparton which is still battling a coronavirus outbreak. The state has recorded 221 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, but most are in Melbourne. "Regional…
  • Wearing_protective_suits_at_Da_Nang_CDC_edit.jpg

    Virus 'ripping families apart': Syd nurse

    An intensive care nurse working in one of NSW's worst COVID-19 hotspots says the virus is "ripping families apart" and taking an enormous physical and emotional toll on healthcare workers. More than 870 COVID-19 patients are in hospital in NSW, with 143 in…
  • 20210828 SA Health Alert

    SA names sites linked to infected truckies

    South Australian authorities have identified petrol stations linked to truck drivers who travelled through three states in WA, before testing positive to COVID-19. The two drivers were tested as part of routine surveillance in NSW on Wednesday, but being…
  • Daniel Andrews 20210815001567004650 600x400

    Regional Victoria to return to lockdown

    Regional Victorians will re-enter lockdown at 1pm on Saturday as authorities scramble to contain a COVID-19 outbreak centred on the city of Shepparton. Victoria recorded 61 new locally acquired virus cases on Saturday, including 39 in the community while…
  • coronavirus update

    Launceston "clear" of COVID scare

    Tasmania's Director of Public Health says the coronavirus scare in Lauceston earlier this month is now well and truly behind us. A traveller from Sydney, who came without a border pass via Melbourne, tested positive in hotel quarantine at Peppers Seaport then…
  • coronavirus update

    Woman pinged for border breach

    There's a stark warning to travellers attempting to breach Fortress Tasmania. A woman who arrived in Launceston on a flight from Sydney at the weekend has become the first to receive the now-doubled fine of $1557. The Tasmanian, aged in her 70s, was fined…
  • Daniel Andrews 20210815001567004650 600x400

    Melbourne lockdown extended, curfew back

    Melbourne's lockdown has been extended by two weeks and a night curfew will be reimposed, in an effort to stamp out the state's latest outbreak of the Delta coronavirus variant. Premier Daniel Andrews on Monday announced the extension, as well as a raft of…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    QR codes for taxis and Ubers after Launceston scare

    Tasmania is yet to detect any COVID cases after an infected man's brief stay in a Launceston quarantine hotel last week. A total of more than 6000 tests have come back negative in the five days after the man's positive test and the situation is now considered…
  • Aurora

    Hawks vs Pies in Launceston called off

    Collingwood's first ever AFL match in Tasmania has been abandoned after the state's first coronavirus case in 238 days sent hundreds of Launcestonians into isolation. The highly anticipated Sunday fixture at UTAS Stadium was a sell out, despite the crowd…
  • daniel andrews 20201122001504608787 600x400

    Vic to enter its sixth lockdown at 8pm

    Victoria will enter a seven-day lockdown in an effort to contain a growing outbreak of the COVID-19 Delta variant in Melbourne's western suburbs. Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the lockdown will begin at 8pm on Thursday, after the state recorded eight new…
  • Launceston streetscape

    Qld arrivals nabbed for flagrant COVID rule breach

    Police appear to have finally lost patience with those flouting Tasmanian Health's stay-at-home orders in the wake of the Queensland COVID-19 Delta outbreak. Two people who recently arrived in Launceston from south east Queensland have been fined $774 each.…
  • steve marshall 20210727001560806593 600x400

    SA considers tougher Queensland rules

    South Australians in Queensland have been urged to consider returning as soon as possible as the Sunshine State continues to battle a COVID-19 outbreak. With southeast Queensland in lockdown, SA residents are still allowed to return provided they spend 14…
  • Martin Foley 20210206001518612379 600x400

    Victoria tightens border bubble with NSW

    Victoria is tightening the NSW border bubble, banning non-essential movement across state lines over the threat of Sydney's worsening COVID-19 outbreak. From 11.59pm on Tuesday, border bubble residents will only be able to cross state lines for six reasons…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    No new virus infections in South Australia

    South Australia will end its COVID-19 lockdown on schedule after reporting no new virus infections. Premier Steven Marshall says the result is a "huge relief" and will allow the shutdown to end at one minute past midnight on Wednesday. "So a massive thank you…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    List of Vic restrictions as lockdown ends

    VICTORIA'S EASED RESTRICTIONS FROM 11:59PM ON TUESDAY: * The 5km travel limit will be removed as well as the stay-at -home requirement. * Movement between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria will be unrestricted. * Masks will be required everywhere…
  • Nicola Spurrier 20210722001559061750 600x400

    South Australia set to end lockdown

    South Australia will likely end its week-long COVID-19 lockdown on time after reporting one new virus infection linked to the Modbury cluster, Premier Steven Marshall says. The premier says the shutdown will end at one minute past midnight on Wednesday…
  • daniel andrews 20201122001504608787 600x400

    Victoria to spend another week in lockdown

    Victoria's lockdown will be extended for a further seven days as authorities work to "extinguish" an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta coronavirus variant. The lockdown was initially due to end on Tuesday night, but Premier Daniel Andrews announced…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA to lock down after fifth virus case

    South Australia is moving into a full seven-day lockdown after a cluster of local COVID-19 cases grew to five. The fifth case, a man in his 60s, is someone who dined at a restaurant in Adelaide where previously infected people were also present on Saturday…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA COVID restrictions after virus cases

    South Australia has imposed widespread coronavirus restrictions, including closing all non-essential retail outlets, following the discovery of a second COVID-19 case. The daughter of an 81-year-old man has now tested positive along with her father after the…

Vic scramble to find Delta virus link

SPARX LATEST COVID BANNER 1 650x431

A man who was infected with the Delta COVID-19 strain mistakenly opened his room door soon after entering hotel quarantine in Melbourne.

But Emma Cassar, the head of COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria, says this incident is unlikely to be the reason for the Delta variant spreading.

Health authorities have linked an outbreak of the more infectious strain in Melbourne to the hotel quarantine case, a man in his 40s who returned from Sri Lanka on May 8.

They are now scrambling to work out the connection.

Genomic sequencing shows his infection is identical to one of two families linked to the North Melbourne Primary School, which has emerged as the epicentre of the West Melbourne outbreak.

But it remains unclear how the virus was transmitted from the returned traveller - who lives in the suburban Glen Eira area in Melbourne's southeast - to the infected family.

"The last 24 hours have been a flurry of activity ... to make sure we cover off all bases," Ms Cassar told ABC radio.

The man initially stayed at the Novotel Ibis Hotel before testing positive and transferring within 24 hours to the Holiday Inn "health hotel".

During his stay at the Ibis, the man opened his door while a staff member was in the corridor.

"The only IPC (infection prevention control) breach is when this resident opened (his) door for less than a minute - he thought there was a knock on the door (but) it was a room further up," Ms Cassar said.

"He even acknowledged the staff member on the floor was more than six metres, so it's not enough for a transmission event.

"He would have had very low levels of infectiousness at that point."

She added the worker in the corridor was wearing an N95 mask and a face shield.

The City of Whittlesea cluster, which triggered Melbourne's current lockdown and is separate to the Delta cluster, is linked to a Wollert man who contracted the virus while in Adelaide hotel quarantine.

A report said the Wollert man probably caught the virus because of the opening and closing of doors in the hotel corridor.

Ms Cassar said two fellow hotel quarantine residents of the man infected with the Delta strain were also being followed up for testing.

She revealed the two residents did not have day 17 and day 20 tests, adding these were not mandatory.

Asked why there weren't, she told ABC radio that was a question for public health.

"They are being followed up now, just to run that one to ground," she said of the two residents.

All 12 residents on the same floor are also being asked to submit to further testing.

Ms Cassar said health authorities were also tracking down the people who cleaned and restocked the plane that brought the infected man to Melbourne.

She said 265 of 268 hotel staff at the Ibis had tested negative.

Deputy Chief Health Officer Allen Cheng said there were four main theories for how the Delta strain spread, with the most likely being the man transmitted the virus to a staff member while in transit or to a fellow guest.

Victoria's deadly second wave of COVID-19 last year was sparked from leaks in hotel quarantine, leading to a major overhaul of the system.

Meanwhile, acting Premier James Merlino says Melbourne and regional Victoria remain "on track" for eased restrictions at 11.59pm on Thursday.

Victoria had two new cases on Tuesday and they are linked to existing infections.

© AAP 2021

Where to Listen

lafm logo47AD rgb7BU rgb7SD cmyk