Headlines

agfest page header 2019

  • Dan Andrews 20210915001576352451 600x400

    Vic roadmap unveiled, 7 day lockdown for Geelong

    Melbourne's controversial curfew will be scrapped, with people able to travel up to 25 kilometres and have a beer outside the pub once 70 per cent of Victorians aged over 16 are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. But the most substantial changes to the…
  • Daniel Andrews 0809 20210815001567004650 600x400

    Regional Victoria exits COVID-19 lockdown

    A Lockdown will be lifted in regional Victoria, with the exception of the town of Shepparton which is still battling a coronavirus outbreak. The state has recorded 221 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, but most are in Melbourne. "Regional…
  • Wearing_protective_suits_at_Da_Nang_CDC_edit.jpg

    Virus 'ripping families apart': Syd nurse

    An intensive care nurse working in one of NSW's worst COVID-19 hotspots says the virus is "ripping families apart" and taking an enormous physical and emotional toll on healthcare workers. More than 870 COVID-19 patients are in hospital in NSW, with 143 in…
  • 20210828 SA Health Alert

    SA names sites linked to infected truckies

    South Australian authorities have identified petrol stations linked to truck drivers who travelled through three states in WA, before testing positive to COVID-19. The two drivers were tested as part of routine surveillance in NSW on Wednesday, but being…
  • Daniel Andrews 20210815001567004650 600x400

    Regional Victoria to return to lockdown

    Regional Victorians will re-enter lockdown at 1pm on Saturday as authorities scramble to contain a COVID-19 outbreak centred on the city of Shepparton. Victoria recorded 61 new locally acquired virus cases on Saturday, including 39 in the community while…
  • coronavirus update

    Launceston "clear" of COVID scare

    Tasmania's Director of Public Health says the coronavirus scare in Lauceston earlier this month is now well and truly behind us. A traveller from Sydney, who came without a border pass via Melbourne, tested positive in hotel quarantine at Peppers Seaport then…
  • coronavirus update

    Woman pinged for border breach

    There's a stark warning to travellers attempting to breach Fortress Tasmania. A woman who arrived in Launceston on a flight from Sydney at the weekend has become the first to receive the now-doubled fine of $1557. The Tasmanian, aged in her 70s, was fined…
  • Daniel Andrews 20210815001567004650 600x400

    Melbourne lockdown extended, curfew back

    Melbourne's lockdown has been extended by two weeks and a night curfew will be reimposed, in an effort to stamp out the state's latest outbreak of the Delta coronavirus variant. Premier Daniel Andrews on Monday announced the extension, as well as a raft of…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    QR codes for taxis and Ubers after Launceston scare

    Tasmania is yet to detect any COVID cases after an infected man's brief stay in a Launceston quarantine hotel last week. A total of more than 6000 tests have come back negative in the five days after the man's positive test and the situation is now considered…
  • Aurora

    Hawks vs Pies in Launceston called off

    Collingwood's first ever AFL match in Tasmania has been abandoned after the state's first coronavirus case in 238 days sent hundreds of Launcestonians into isolation. The highly anticipated Sunday fixture at UTAS Stadium was a sell out, despite the crowd…
  • daniel andrews 20201122001504608787 600x400

    Vic to enter its sixth lockdown at 8pm

    Victoria will enter a seven-day lockdown in an effort to contain a growing outbreak of the COVID-19 Delta variant in Melbourne's western suburbs. Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the lockdown will begin at 8pm on Thursday, after the state recorded eight new…
  • Launceston streetscape

    Qld arrivals nabbed for flagrant COVID rule breach

    Police appear to have finally lost patience with those flouting Tasmanian Health's stay-at-home orders in the wake of the Queensland COVID-19 Delta outbreak. Two people who recently arrived in Launceston from south east Queensland have been fined $774 each.…
  • steve marshall 20210727001560806593 600x400

    SA considers tougher Queensland rules

    South Australians in Queensland have been urged to consider returning as soon as possible as the Sunshine State continues to battle a COVID-19 outbreak. With southeast Queensland in lockdown, SA residents are still allowed to return provided they spend 14…
  • Martin Foley 20210206001518612379 600x400

    Victoria tightens border bubble with NSW

    Victoria is tightening the NSW border bubble, banning non-essential movement across state lines over the threat of Sydney's worsening COVID-19 outbreak. From 11.59pm on Tuesday, border bubble residents will only be able to cross state lines for six reasons…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    No new virus infections in South Australia

    South Australia will end its COVID-19 lockdown on schedule after reporting no new virus infections. Premier Steven Marshall says the result is a "huge relief" and will allow the shutdown to end at one minute past midnight on Wednesday. "So a massive thank you…
  • Coronavirus latest news2

    List of Vic restrictions as lockdown ends

    VICTORIA'S EASED RESTRICTIONS FROM 11:59PM ON TUESDAY: * The 5km travel limit will be removed as well as the stay-at -home requirement. * Movement between metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria will be unrestricted. * Masks will be required everywhere…
  • Nicola Spurrier 20210722001559061750 600x400

    South Australia set to end lockdown

    South Australia will likely end its week-long COVID-19 lockdown on time after reporting one new virus infection linked to the Modbury cluster, Premier Steven Marshall says. The premier says the shutdown will end at one minute past midnight on Wednesday…
  • daniel andrews 20201122001504608787 600x400

    Victoria to spend another week in lockdown

    Victoria's lockdown will be extended for a further seven days as authorities work to "extinguish" an outbreak of the highly contagious Delta coronavirus variant. The lockdown was initially due to end on Tuesday night, but Premier Daniel Andrews announced…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA to lock down after fifth virus case

    South Australia is moving into a full seven-day lockdown after a cluster of local COVID-19 cases grew to five. The fifth case, a man in his 60s, is someone who dined at a restaurant in Adelaide where previously infected people were also present on Saturday…
  • steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

    SA COVID restrictions after virus cases

    South Australia has imposed widespread coronavirus restrictions, including closing all non-essential retail outlets, following the discovery of a second COVID-19 case. The daughter of an 81-year-old man has now tested positive along with her father after the…

SA COVID restrictions after virus cases

steven marshall 20201117001503789252 600x400

South Australia has imposed widespread coronavirus restrictions, including closing all non-essential retail outlets, following the discovery of a second COVID-19 case.

The daughter of an 81-year-old man has now tested positive along with her father after the pair arrived from Argentina some time ago.

Premier Steven Marshall says five other close contacts of the pair have tested negative so far but authorities are very concerned about the current situation.

"We only have one chance to get this right. Our focus from day one has been to go hard and to go early to minimise the level of disruption," he said.

"We've got to respond quickly."

New SA restrictions include a density change to one person to every four square metres in all venues, while all team and contact sport is to be cancelled.

All dining will need to be seated with a ban imposed on dancing and singing.

Masks will be required in all public outlets, including shopping centres.

Fitness centres will be closed along with other non-essential retail outlets. Supermarkets and pharmacies and other essential businesses will continue to trade.

Schools will stay open.

The new rules will apply from midnight on Monday and will be reviewed on Friday.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said while SA was not moving to a full lockdown, the restrictions were significant.

"We know there are people who will struggle as a result of these changes. But the consequences of not taking action could be even more severe," he said.

"The intent here is to dramatically suppress all discretionary activity in the community."

Authorities said earlier that the elderly man had returned to Australia through NSW, where he spent 14 days in quarantine.

He spent a further 10 days in hospital in NSW after suffering a fall before returning to SA on July 8, and presented to a suburban hospital over the weekend after developing symptoms.

The man had received one vaccine dose while in Argentina, but it was not known what type.

The man has been admitted to hospital, while his daughter has been taken to the Tom's Court Hotel which is used to quarantine all positive COVID-19 cases.

"We don't draw any conclusions as to where this infection came from. We simply don't know and it is very early days," Mr Marshall said.

"Our primary concern at the moment is putting everyone who may have come into contact with this person into quarantine as soon as possible."

Mr Marshall said the emergency department at Modbury Hospital remained closed while a risk assessment is performed, and would be progressively opened when it was safe to do so.

Some staff have been placed in quarantine.

The premier said the Elizabeth Vale Primary School would also reopen on Tuesday after being closed on Monday.

The school was closed as a precaution while checks were made to ensure the elderly man's grandson, who is a teacher, didn't attend over the two-week holiday period.

SA Health named five potential exposure sites, including an OPSM store at Golden Grove, a food warehouse at Hindmarsh, the Commonwealth Bank at Modbury and an Aldi Supermarket at St Agnes.

There is also some concern for an outdoor reserve at Glenelg.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said officials were assuming the man had the Delta variant of the disease, though that was yet to be confirmed.

She said it was known the Delta strain could "spread like wildfire".

© AAP 2021

Photo: South Australian Premier Steven Marshall in November 2020 (AAP Image/Kelly Barnes)

Where to Listen

lafm logo47AD rgb7BU rgb7SD cmyk