Hobart's Lord Mayor is defending council's decision to knock back a controversial apartment tower in the CBD.
90 per cent of the near-900 public submissions received for the Welcome Stranger proposal were against.
Last night's full council vote of 7 to 4 against on grounds including heritage and height came after a similar outcome from last week's planning committee meeting.
Lord Mayor Anna Reynolds says council's Urban Design Advisory Panel met with the developers twice to give advice which would have helped the block meet the planning scheme's requirements.
"It is a shame the developer chose to go down the route of engaging a PR firm instead of listening to this advice," she said.
"The Council is open for business and for quality developments. What we are not open for are developers who ignore the planning scheme and ignore the advice of council’s expert planning officers and advisors."
The Hobart City Council has voted 7-4 against the Welcome Stranger development at their meeting this evening. Those against the proposal say they are relieved it didn’t get the green light. @7hofmhobart— Olivia Hicks (@OliviaGHicks) July 8, 2019
A nasty racism row has erupted in the wake of the decision.
In the days leading up to the vote, the Hobart not Highrise group called attention to the heavy Chinese influence on Melbourne-based developer Hexa, incurring the ire of Alderman Marti Zucco.
“I call on the Lord Mayor to immediately condemn racism and in particular those involved in it and denounce Hobart not Highrise in particular its convener Brian Corr for initiating this racist actions through a social media post," he said.
"The Lord Mayor and ALL those elected members who were supported by HnH during and since the election must immediately disassociate themselves from this racist and somewhat fascist group."