A man feared eaten by a crocodile has been found alive after three weeks living on nuts and berries in Queensland's Daintree rainforest.
Victorian man Milan Lemic disappeared on December 23 after walking away from his bogged ute at Bairds Crossing near the Upper Daintree village.
A passerby who came across the stranded man offered to help and drove to a nearby property to get a tractor.
But when the Good Samaritan returned just 20 minutes later Mr Lemic was gone, sparking initial fears the 29-year-old may have been taken by a crocodile.
Mr Lemic was found safe on Monday afternoon and has told police he went for a walk while waiting for the man to return but got lost.
He's in remarkably good condition given how long he spent in the densely rainforested area.
He was found on the Creb Track north of where he was last seen.
"He said he'd been eating berries and fruit and of course water is plentiful up there," a police spokeswoman told AAP.
"He has lost weight but is in pretty good spirits considering he has been away for three weeks."
Great news: The Victorian man reported missing in the Upper Daintree on December 23 has been located safe and well. Police would like to thank all the volunteers who gave their time over Christmas to help search for the man. https://t.co/AwQRyY5h3T pic.twitter.com/FcnYePh2Dr— Queensland Police (@QldPolice) January 13, 2020
His disappearance sparked a long-running search over the Christmas period, and a heartfelt plea for information from his family who travelled to far north Queensland.
Initial fears he might have been taken by a croc were dismissed after a search of the Daintree River found there were no crocodiles in the area big enough to take a human.
At one point in the search, concerns were raised that Mr Lemic may have been actively avoiding rescuers.
On Boxing Day, police said there had been a "credible but unconfirmed" sighting of Mr Lemic in the Daintree area, in the company of "a short Indigenous male".
As December drew to a close, Senior Sergeant Ed Lukin issued a plea for Mr Lemic to contact police or his distraught family.
The official search for the Victorian was called off on December 30.
Police expect to hold a press conference later in the day.
© AAP 2020